Monday, August 29, 2011

Art Everyday: Transformers

In one of my posts, I wrote about trying out a technique I read about.  It involves cutting out a magazine image and then painting or drawing over it.

I started out with this photo from a fashion magazine of a male model. What attracted me to this image was how androgynous he looked. (And how he looked like he stepped out of the '80s! LOL)



Look at that hair! 

I wanted to turn him into something unrecognizable and totally different from the original photo. So out came the bucket of gesso and a few coats later, I can fairly say, he's starting to look like a ghost of his former self.


Still wanting to alter this image some more, I dove in with more paint and put in a totally new face with my 5B pencil.  Do you still recognize him?



The initial intention was to turn him into a girl, with rouged cheeks and ruby red lips. Tough luck on that one.  I think my muse knew better :-).

But I did like how the face turned out.  Seemed to have more character and a smidgen of angst.  Now I don't really know why but the wings came next.  And in the end "he" ended up looking like this



If you're not that confident with your drawing skills (like I am) and painting a person from scratch gives you the chills, this is a great technique to try.  Having the original face and figure as a guide gave me the confidence to "draw" in a new one without having to worry about stuff like proportion and anatomy.  I think I'm going to do a few more of these until I gain enough gumption to draw a human figure from scratch.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me