Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Wishcasting Wednesday: What Do You Wish to Ask For?

I saw an old woman the other day.  She was wearing an orange top and white pants and white wedge heels.  Her hair, silvery gray in the dusky evening light, shone around her face like a soft halo.  She wore red lipstick – and smiled like a beauty queen greeting an adoring crowd.  I actually expected her to raise her arm, laden with 3 or 4 colorful bangles, to wave benevolently to the security guard at the door.

From my little perch in the corner of a coffee shop I watched her go up the escalator.  Unlike women her age she stepped onto that escalator with confidence – no wavering for this little ‘ol lady, no hanging onto the handrail, no waiting for someone to help her.  At the top, she looked around and then started to walk quickly toward a group of people, arms outstretched, her smile wider than ever.  Grandchildren surrounded her and I could see hugs and kisses being dispensed with abandon.

At that moment I thought: I want that. Exactly that. To live long, and happy and proud and strong and loved. To wear whatever color I want to wear and not to worry that I’m wearing too many bangles on my arms.  To be able to go to anywhere by myself, my gray hair and red lipstick announcing my presence.

That is what I ask for.  A long life filled with love, family, success, comfort and strength.  A long life where laughter is served daily and deep, quiet moments are given over for fondly remembering what went before – and yes, maybe allowing a painful memory or two in, if only so I can be more thankful for the happy ones.


10 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful blog. I felt as if I was there with you watching her. As you wish for yourself, I wish for you also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful wish! As you wish for yourself, so I also wish for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you wish for yourself, so I also wish for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your wish. As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha I did laugh. I DO have totally grey hair (with not so totally natural purple) and I do wear red lipstick and bangles. It has taken me a long time to get this far!!!

    As you wish for yourself I so lovingly wish this for you also. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. @saralulu -- you're my idol then! i should take tips from you.

    thank you everyone for sending your positive energy to help make this wish come true. it'll be a few more years i guess but it's not a bad idea to start asking for it early right? as you wish for yourselves, i wish for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful wish indeed! As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG you made me cry!!! So beauitful I wish for a long live as well... As you wish for yourself, I wish for you as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful, beautiful wish! As you wish for yourself, I wholeheartedly wish for you also. May you always be free to be unreservedly you! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story. Makes me wonder what her story is... and yes, I want to be like her, too...

    As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also...

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me