Thursday, July 21, 2011

Wishcasting Wednesday: What Do You Wish to Try?

I badly need a vacation.  Somewhere. Anywhere.

I have not had one in a while and I've been craving the ocean and I would love to see my old friend again. Here's the thing about vacations though -- I have never taken one alone.

Vacation time with family is usually so stressful for me that I would find myself wanting a vacation from my vacation - if you were put in charge of handling all the arrangements you would understand I guess. And now here I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms caused by a vacationless year.  But this year I would like to do it differently. I'd like to go off on my own.

This sort of thing is never heard of in my family.  We go everywhere together -- except the bathroom -- and the thought of me wanting a few days away from them would probably be taken as a huge insult.  It's taboo. We don't do that. How can you go away on your own and leave us? (Cue in melodramatic music here)

But I think I need to. And I would like to try that. To have a few days on my own, maybe in some place I am not totally familiar with, would probably jolt my brain into hyperdrive and wake me up to what I am missing.  Becoming lost in unfamiliar streets would be an adventure.  Communicating in sign language because I can't speak what they speak would bring out the hidden thespian in me I'm sure.  Eating something unrecognizable would be totally allowed and there will be no one to warn me that I may not have packed enough Imodium or Pepto-Bismol.  Sleeping in out of the way places (without having to worry if they had cable TV or internet connection) and waking up when I want to would be heaven.  And sitting still, staring off to nowhere or doodling in my sketchbook would not be interrupted by trips to go see some of the sites, or shopping, or even the flash of an unexpected camera that always seems to catch me each time I open my mouth wide to yawn.

I wish to try going off alone to see the world the way I see it. I wish to see if by doing so, I can somehow tune out and tune in.  I would like to discover a new place on my own terms,  to listen, ears close to the ground, as a place tells me its story on its own, just the way it should be told.  I want to be able to walk up to people and  prove that the human race isn't doomed because there still those who are more than willing to help a silly lost woman find her way.

Now that would be an adventure worth retelling.

6 comments:

  1. Go for it!!!!! Just do it. Why aren't they thinking about how YOU feel. I think it sounds like a great adventure :) As Sharlene is wishing for herself, I wish for her as well. Get packing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! A vacation from life - alone - sounds amazing! I have always loved doing this, but have rarely done it in my life. I wish for you the courage to do this, the opportunity, and everything you need to make it happen! As you wish for yourself, I also wish for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful wish ..... you should so just go and do it, you'll love it!! Have fun and post about it when you get back :)

    Encaustic Painting

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOps, that meant to say As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And using a class as a focus? As in "I´m taking this cool class, and it´s on the other side of the world. I´ll also stay a couple of days to explore. I´ll bring you toys" *grin* (The happy grin is important, it promises a happy camper back ;) )
    As Sharlene wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you everyone! i know all your wishes for this one to happen has helped get me closer to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me