Monday, January 20, 2014

Strange Selfies

Whenever I sit down to draw or paint, they come.  These faces.  Nameless strangers born onto the page from my pencil or brush.  I wish I knew who they were.  




Are they faces of people I saw somewhere?  Or are they faces of people I have yet to meet?


Sometimes I wonder if they are even mine.  I wonder if they are inside me, waiting to get out, waiting to be named.  What should I call them?  I don't dare give them names.  So they come forward, one by one, birthed onto blank page or canvass or strip of paper I happen to have on hand, accidental childbirths that surprise the hand of the mother that creates them.  


Are they faces of the dead? The ones I sometimes see when when I am not really seeing.  Is this how they want to be remembered? Maybe I should say a prayer after each one is completed - but are they asking for me to pray for them?  Or should I pray for me?  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me