Monday, March 19, 2012

Little Ladies

A good friend once asked me why I tend to start things small - or expect to stay small.

Maybe because I don't think I'm good enough to make it big. Or maybe because I know I can and I'm afraid I can't handle what will come.  Or maybe because I'm afraid to make big mistakes -- because little ones are so much easier to correct and don't make me look as stupid as I feel.  Or maybe I don't really want anyone to see -- or maybe I do but I'm choosy about the people I want to share it with.  And I'm choosy about it because maybe I'm afraid of them judging me and calling me crazy to even think I can do anything amazing.

And maybe this line of thinking is going to get me nowhere.

And since old habits die hard, I started a series of small drawings using a set of aquarelle pencils I got for my birthday.  Really small -- about 2 inches wide by 2 inches tall.  I call them The Little Ladies.

Attempt No. 1


Here's No. 2
And No. 3
I liked that I could first lightly draw the image outline with a dry aquarelle pencil then run a damp paint brush over the lines to shade or lighten them as I pleased.  You do know how scared I am of watercolor right? So this medium gave me some control and was less scary for me. 

I like. :-)  Will definitely need more practice though.  And maybe I'll try to draw something bigger than 2 inches with these next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me