Thursday, March 15, 2012

Just So True

Handmade bath products are one of the sweet indulgences I allow myself.  Our skin is the largest organ in our body and it takes a beating from all the stuff that it absorbs everyday.   Feeding it with simple, pure, all natural products is one of the ways that I honor my body – and give a nod to Mother Nature as well.  One of my favourites is castile soap.

Castile soap, made from a base of saponified olive oil, is a rich, moisturizing bar that you can use on your body and even as a shampoo bar.   You can always tell if a bar of soap that touts itself as a “castile soap” is the real thing by the minimal suds you get when you wash with it - bars made out of olive oil produce less suds than those made out of coconut oil or other oils.  It is a mild soap and will not clog pores.  Castile soap also helps heal skin abrasions, rashes and relieve sunburn and may also provide relief for psoriasis and eczema.

My search for the perfect bar has led me everywhere and has resulted in many more misses than hits -  until  I happened upon So True Castile Soap.  And I tell you – I have never had a truer, purer bar of castile soap.  I have Mia Rocha-Lauchengco, the lovely, creative lady behind So True Castile Soap, to thank for it.

So True's Coffee Peppermint Soap Bars
 I hate slathering on thick, sticky lotions so it was great that So True’s soap helped me do away with them – my skin stayed soft and hydrated even when I was stuck in an airconditioned office all day.

And then there’s the scent – minty, cool, fresh with a hint of citrus and rich cinnamon that really woke me up in the morning.  Bathing with it was like stepping into an aromatherapy tent!  I have tried other handmade soaps before but the scent easily evaporates after the bar is exposed to air.  Not this one – the bar I am using sits happily in my soap dish as it has done so for more than a week and I can still smell how yummy it is when I enter the bathroom. 

So LUXE - Lavender Grapefruit

There’s another thing – castile soaps (the pure, real kind) are hard soaps.  They will not vanish into nothingness after a few quick dips in water.  My bar of So True Castile Soap has not shown any signs of melting away while I’m not looking.  I’m pretty sure the generous sized bar will be around for a few more weeks – and that tells me I’ve got the real thing here. 

My favorite - The Christmas Bar (can't it be Christmas all year long?)

If you want to give your skin a treat, hop over to So True Castile Soap’s page on Facebook and order online.  Her selection of handmade castile soap is dizzying, but don’t worry -  Mia is the nicest soapmaker I’ve met and I am sure she will be glad to help you out.  
Mia has also come out with a wonderful new product: The So True Repair Balm, a luxurious blend of olive oil, pure beeswax and fine essential oils guaranteed to moisturize your skin in the most delish way. 

Can't wait to try this!

She also offers lovely gift packs in case you would like to give these soaps as a gift.  

Lovely idea for a baby shower, don't you think?

Mia also sells her beautiful soap at the Alabama Art Fair which is held monthly - last I heard, the next art fair is set for April.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me