Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Round Two at 10A Alabama

The sun was already halfway up the sky when  I left home with my usual art fair stuff all packed helter-skelter the night before.  Of course I crammed and on the way to 10A Alabama I kept running a mental list in my head of what I was sure I forgot to bring. I didn't forget anything. :-)

This would be my second time to join the 10A Alabama Art Fair.  I had promised myself that, with time being a commodity I am short with, I will limit my art fair escapades this year to this venue for several reasons, the first one being that the vibe of this place is unbelievably chill.  I love how other sellers chat with each other and swap  stories and tips, how the items on display and on sale are lovingly made by hand from some of the most unusual materials.  The organizers are some of the coolest people around and they do make an effort to make sure that everyone is happy.  Regular sellers greet each other like old friends and warmly welcome new ones to the fold. This is my happy place as far as art fairs are concerned.

The thing I like about my pieces is that they are small and easy to set up.  I had brought several pieces of my soutache jewelry, introducing the line for the first time, and I was instantly rewarded with two purchases from a young lady who seemed fascinated with the handwork that went into making a piece.



Finished with setting up and getting several sales within an hour of doing so, I thought I'd reward myself by taking a look around.  This is what I found:

Paintings by the young wards of Cribs Foundation -



The happy colors in these works of art immediately brought a smile to my face and the little girls who painted them were so much fun to talk to!

A little further in I spotted what looked like a huge, lighted pineapple


Upon closer inspection, I realized that I wasn't seeing things - it WAS a huge, lighted pineapple. And there were more lovely lamps set up near it in a shock of bold, bright colors -


These lamps are by Light 'Em Up and are made of flexible, durable, lightweight and washable polycarbonate material.  The lamps' design and color can be customized to your preference (that big pineapple was a custom order) and would make a colorful yet functional addition to any space. 

My attention was also caught by these "solar jars" they had for sale - these are powered by a tiny solar cell which, when fully charged,  provides enough power in the light bulb inside the jar to run for about 8 hours.  This is a great and eco-friendly alternative to a plugged in night light.   


Of course, being a jewelry maker, I am always drawn to the bling and Junkshop Abubot was one of my favorite stops of the day. 


I think Ros Rotugal Flores, the sweet lady behind these hand beaded creations, outdid herself this time by creating these luscious bangles.  I mean, look at that beadwork! She also had on display some really pretty decoupage and beaded button rings like these -


And who can resist the tiny, tiny handbound books turned into pendants by Alunsina Handbound Books


I drooled over their new line of journals (yes, I am a sucker for the blank page) covered in fabric or decoupaged maps. Nadja and Enan, the couple behind Alunsina, never fail to amaze me with the craftsmanship in their work.  I am eagerly awaiting the launch of their bag line :-).


New kid at the art fair, Nunanuna, sold shopping bags made out of  upcycled coffee bags


And they also had several hand sewn clutches -- I happily went home with this one pictured below :-)


Of course, there was Betsy and her ladies - this darling trio of ladies painted on empty wine bottles looked like they were having a good time


Betsy's cute origami earrings were a hit.  Here she is showing off her butandings - 


Betsy uses recycled materials for her little earrings - candy wrappers, little receipts and I think I even saw a bus ticket or two that were turned into tiny cranes.  

Inside, I stopped by Lotus Bloom Handcrafted Soaps table and was instantly smitten.  Loved the way that she named her soaps -- and I loved the fact that the ingredients she uses in them are all natural


The heat was stressing me out a bit and Joanne Quintana, the lady who makes all these soaps by hand, urged me to try her one of her relaxing balms.  Just a tiny bit of the magick balm applied to the temples made me feel so calm and relaxed. 


Feeling much better, I wandered out into the garden to find a little table decked out with rubber stamps, paint, and all kinds of crafty materials.  Blank fabric penants were also provided so that anyone who was in the mood to create something could do so -- and hang it up in the garden for all to see.  Another thing I love about 10A Alabama -- creativity is nurtured at every turn. 


I returned to my booth to find that I had a mannequin from which to display my necklaces.  Thank you  Mr. B, for trying to model these but I think next time I'll go with the neck forms lol. 


Having gotten tired of playing mannequin, Mr. B wandered off to the next booth that sold some unique handmade necklaces, leather wallets and small leather pouches. He came away with a really unique looking pendant. 


As the sun dipped low in the sky, we were treated to the music of The Slinks who did a mini-concert right there in the garden. It was lovely to sit in the balmy afternoon, wind cooling brows that were earlier on beaded with the light sheen of sweat, listening to songs like Summertime performed by this cute couple. 


Can't wait for round three. It would be nice to see you there :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me